Thursday, July 14, 2005

A sense of place

I think that it's amazing how different the phrase "sense of place" can mean to so many different people. I'm not amazed because some may differ from my own but how it explains so much about why people have such a hard time understanding one another in a discussion focused upon the phrase. This helps me to better prepare for facilitating such discussions. At the moment I am feeling that the best way to do so would be to have everyone first take some quiet reflection time and think very hard about what the phrase "sense of place" means to them. Once this is done I would have people share what they chose to regarding how they might define the phrase. Only then can the discussion begin. I believe that this self preparation time is necessary so people can think out what they feel they might want to say. Otherwise people are forced to think on the spot which can sometimes lead to misunderstandings based upon poor word usage and the like. Anywho, I felt this was the best section of my journal to blog today because something I felt I had a good handle on was shown to me in many new lights and I am thankful. I now have a better understanding of my own sense of place philosophies based upon the dialogue I was able to try my hand at participating in today. Yay for discussions with hidden results!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home